We need to go through below mentioned troubleshooting step to resolve the issue.
STEP A: Check carefully if the Brother printer is turned on and showing no errors.
- Monitor LCD or main screen on your Brother’s machine, there are chances that it may be switched off. Look at the machine and see if it wakes up from sleep mode.
If this is not the case, then you need to make sure that the socket in which printer is plugged in should be working fine and all power switches are turned ON.
NOTE: if printer is still not turning on despite of above troubleshooting steps, then you need to troubleshoot hardware issue.
- Check if LCD of the printer is displaying nay error messages such as “Paper jam” or Ink/Toner Empty”. We need to address the issue first which is being displayed on LCD, troubleshoot accordingly to resolve the stated issue.
STEP B: Ensure if Brother printer is connected to your computer.
- In case your printer is connected to your computer with the help of a USB cable, you need to check the connections properly. You can also try connecting it directly despite of doing it with the help of a hub.
- If an ethernet cable is being used, check its connectivity with both printer and router/hub/switch. You can also go for printing a network configuration page and check for IP address.
- Go for printing a network configuration page, if you are using a wireless connection.
If problem persists, go to STEP C.
STEP C (WINDOWS): Ensure Brother printer must be set up as the default printer.
Find out and open printers’ folders and remember to check tick mark on your Brother printer icon.
(For Windows 8 or later)
1. Open control panel on your computer.
2. Choose Hardware and sound > Devices and Printers.
(For Windows 7)
1. Tap on Start button and choose Devices and Printers.
If you do not see any tick mark on your Brother printer device,
simply click right on the icon for your Brother printer and choose
Set as default printer.
STEP D (WINDOWS): Erase entire print jobs from the Devices and Printers window
(Windows 7 or later)
Click on the Right-side icon for your brother printer> See what’s printing> Printer> Cancel All Documents.
If you see that Cancel All Documents options has been greyed
out as shown below, press Open As Administrator. Insert the
password for an administrator and choose YES.
STEP E (Windows): Look for the printer status in the Devices and Printers windows
If status of printer is Offline
Windows 7 or later
On your Brother icon click on right hand side > See what’s printing> Printer> Use Printer Offline (remove the checkmark)
If you see that Use Printer Offline is not highlighting, choose Open As Administrator. Enter your administrator password and choose Yes.
If the printer status is Paused
Right-click on the icon of your Brother printer> See what’s printing> Printer> Pause Printing (remove the checkmark)
If you see that Pause Printing is not highlighting, click Open As Administrator. Enter your administrator password and choose Yes.
STEP F (Windows): In the Devices and Printers, if you come across with a copy of your Brother machine’s icon (such as Brother XX XXXX (copy) 1).
A copy is of printer icon is generally created due to mentioned reasons:
- If you have connected your Brother printer to a different USB port on the computer.
- If same printer driver has been installed multiple times.
This problem will lead to have multiple copies of drivers and none of them will work smoothly. If you wish to print, you need to select the printer driver which is working fine.
To find out which of the printer driver is working, take mentioned steps:
- Switch on Brother printer. If you see multiple printers connected on your computer, you need to switch on the printer which you wish to use.
- Open the printer folder.
- (Window 8 or later): Open the Control Panel. (Click here to see how to open the Control Panel.)
Click Hardware and Sound> Devices and Printers.
- (Windows 7): Press Start>Devices and Printers
- Move the pointer of your mouse over the printer icon until the printer status pop-up appears.
If you see the status Ready, it clearly indicates that printer driver is working fine.
Choose the printer driver while printing.
- If you wish to setup this printer as default printer and wish to print this
printer always, you need to right-click icon of the machine and choose
Set as default printer. The tick mark will reflect on machine’s icon and
when you will print for the next time, this printer driver will be selected automatically.
STEP G (Windows): if problem persists:…
Check the solution applicable for your case:
(For USB connection)
> Click here to see how to resolve the issue of being unable to print using my Brother machine on a USB connection.
STEP C (MacOS): Always ensure that you are using the right printer driver for the Brother printer:
This step is available until MacOS 10.15 if you are using MacOS 11 or greater, please go to STEP D.
- Choose Apple Menu>System Preference>Print & Scan>Printers & Scanners.
- In the Printers section, choose Brother printer.
- Verify which printer driver is used. This can be located next to Kind.
- If the AirPrint printer driver is selected, add the printer driver to your Mac device as shown below:
If you get the CUPS printer driver, the CUPS printer CUPS driver is installed appropriately.
a) Choose Quit System Preference from the Apple Menu.
b) Go to STEP D.
- Choose Apple Menu> System Preferences>Print & Scan or Printers & Scanners.
- Press the +button.
- Hit the Default icon which is present at the top of dialogue box.
- Choose your device from Name list.
- Ensure “XXXXXXX+CUPS” is
chosen in the Use list,
(XXXXXXXX) refers to the
model name of your printer.
If you are unable to find the “XXXXXXX+CUPS”, the CUPS printer driver is not installed.
Download the latest Full Driver & Software Packages and install the same. All related installation guidelines are readily available on the download page.
If you are unable to find Full Driver & Software Package for your model, choose the CUPS Printer Driver or Printer Driver.
- Press Add.
- You can find out the printer in Printer section.
- Choose Quit System Preferences from the Apple Menu.
STEP D (MacOS): if problem continues:
Look for the solution suitable for your situation.
(For USB connection)
(For network connection)